Friday, July 3, 2009

Nirvana "Smell Like Teens Spirit" Deconstruction - GREAT!

Yesterday, when I was wandering around some blogs of famous recording / production engineers / producers, I found some great videos. They're all related to music production, which is my fav. topic to read and learn all the times.
In this video below, we can see the multitrack of the famous song "Smell Like Teens Spirit" of the famous band Nirvana. What could I say? Perfect. These songs like this were produced in the beginning of the 90's. And nearly 2 decades after, we folks here in Vietnam still couldn't achieve anything in quality and energy like that.
First, let's see it:
Here my thoughts about this: Let's listen to the drums part. Notice how evenly Dave played, and his dynamic was perfect. The guitars sound heavy but have the openess, not overly compressed like cheap multi-fx box in VNese music. The most surprised to me is how the vocals were compressed. Yep, that is a "expensive" sound. And when we listen to the final CD version, we can notice how amazing the mastering process did to the mix.
Phew... sometime I feel like I'm chasing a ghost. Or simpler, I'm trying to match the speed of my bicycle to a Ferrari. Sadly, most Vietnamese people cannot hear the differences between that. They're almost sastified to distorted/clipped mp3 of cheap music - cheap "noise".
In my opinion, Real Art does take time. And it'll be worthy at the end.
This is my first post. So enjoy !  

1 comment:

  1. the idea wasn't new at all, but sound quality's pretty good. and how simple they processed its sound with an analog mixer was real amazing.
    i notice that you worship Kurt's guitar sound to much, the mixer man, he bring us colored Kurt's sound, not Kurt. just compare to others album of Nirvana, u'll see the different. IMO, distortion sound of kurts' guitar have nothing special.

    ReplyDelete